Everything You Need to know about headshot retouching at our studio can be summed up in one phrase, “Beautiful but Believable”. Anyone can add a filter that makes you look like a plastic nightmare using any number of apps, but we have crafted our digital retouching style over the course of more than a decade to make sure that you look natural and refreshed, At this point in time, Because there is no filter or software that can give you the same results as a skilled digital artist, all of our retouching is done by hand. However, even with the clever work of a skilled retoucher, the best results come when our clients do everything they can to prepare for their session.
Ultimately, Good preparation is the best way to insure that your headshot session is a success.
With plenty of rest, the right wardrobe, and the right artistic direction, we should create images that are 95% the way we need them to be when we press the shutter. Try not to think of retouching as a way to fix mistakes, think of it as a way to enhance an image for maximum impact. For some great preparation tips, check out 5 Ways to Completely Nail Your Headshot Session.
We offer professional headshot retouching as an available add-on to all of our sessions. We almost always recommend it, however there are certain cases where you might not need it. If the primary usage of a headshot is for an email signature photo, you may not need retouching. Because of the size of email signature photos, you may not be able to see the difference retouching makes. However, any image that you plan to use for auditions, marketing, websites, or social media should have at least basic retouching.
Basic Retouching What We do and Don’t Do
- Reduce the appearance of dark circles under eyes
- Remove yellow and red from eyes and teeth
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles
- Eliminate distracting stray hairs
- Erase temporary blemishes like acne and razor bumps
- Enhance the color and contrast for more impact
- Use skin softening filters
- Distort or shrink natural features
- Change hair styles or color
- Fix wrinkled or disheveled clothes
- Remove logos or graphics from clothing
- Remove permanent facial features (actors and models)
- Background replacement
- Color Changes and Enhancements (Changing Tie/Lipstick Colors)
- Body Sculpting (slimming and other adjustments)
- Group Composites (adding/removing people from group images)
- Custom Digital Backgrounds
If you are looking for filters to remove your pores and blur all your features, there are plenty out there for you to take advantage of with a quick swipe of the finger. Keep in mind that every person with a phone can do the same. If you want your images to stand out, hire a professional photographer who will help you prepare to succeed in the session in addition to using professional hand-retouching techniques to highlight your best features.
Ready to Book?
If you are ready to create some powerful images to market yourself or your brand, get in touch with us to get the ball rolling. We can answer any and all questions you might have and even put together a custom quote.